Eden Camile Swenson

Eden Camile Swenson
1 lb 1 oz (510 Grams) 10.4 inches, Born December 28, 2009

Eden Camile Swenson

Eden Camile Swenson
A moment in our arms, forever in our hearts.

My Family

My Family
We love our little Eden. This was taken the end of November in Utah. Eden is in the photo too but in her mommy still. A few days after this photo we had our 20 week ultrasound of our healthy baby girl.

2 Hours Old

2 Hours Old
I couldn't wait to come

These hang above Eden's Bed in the NICU

These hang above Eden's Bed in the NICU
Nurse Averi made the footprints with her birth date, weight, and length. The NICU nurses are great.

About Me

About Me
This hangs by Eden's bed in the NICU.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Interacting With Eden in the NICU






Jeremy came just before we finished Eden's afternoon care.

Rachel helping in Eden's care.








Rachel brushing Eden's teeth.














It is difficult to not be able to hold your new baby, feed her, change her, or comfort her. We sometimes feel helpless. We are however able to do some things and we try to do as much as possible:
  • Cuddle Blankets: The hospital gave me two and my mom made 16 more so I don't have to worry about washing only two. Cuddle blankets are small flannel blankets that the mommy wears under her clothes, close to her skin to absorb her scent. A baby this small has their sense of smell the strongest. The baby knows their mommy's scent. Every day I wear and bring Eden a new cuddle blanket to place next to or touching her head in her incubator.
  • Touch: We are allowed to touch Eden. We try not to disturb her too much but we are able to place a hand on her head, on her hand, or her feet. We have to be still and use direct, light pressure and no stroking or rubbing. This is more comfortable for her and her nerves.
  • Care Participation: Eden is so little so they try not to bother her more than they need to. They do let Jeremy and I participate in her care, such as moistening/cleaning her mouth and gums with, taking her temperature, helping with linen changes (I am jealous, Jeremy was able to hold Eden up last night while the nurses changed her linens, I had gone home to sleep), and there may be other ways the further along, more well, and older she gets.
  • Containment: Since Eden is not in her mother's womb she does miss having her limbs be contained. Much like swaddling a newborn. If she is stressed, we can gently place our hands over her like a human hand swaddling and contain her limbs so she feels safe. This works well to calm her and it is nice for Jeremy and I to touch her.
  • Pumping: My job is to eat, drink, pump, eat, drink, pump, etc. every 2 to 3 hours. It isn't ideal. Being my third child to nurse, I would much rather have a baby to nurse than a pump, but it defiantly is therapeutic to help me feel like I am helping her. All of the mother's milk is frozen right now but we are looking to the near future use of it. Noah and Paige are excited about the fact I can make milk for Eden and cheer me on. They like to see how much I pump and cheer me on.
  • Reading to Eden: Jeremy has read to Eden. First "Goodnight Moon," and then today he started the Harry Potter series. Eden can only take one stimulus at a time right now. So either it is touching with direct, light pressure or talking to her, but not both.
  • Singing: Grandma Cami sang some primary songs to Eden. We also are having Noah and Paige read and sing to Eden on a tape recorder that we can play next to her bed. This helps the kids feel involved, especially when they can't go see their baby sister. Noah said he wants to be a scientist and study germs so he can make it so kids under 18 can visit their baby siblings in the NICU. Smart kid.
  • Photos and Drawings: We have hung various photos and drawings for Eden from the kids and Jeremy and I next to Eden's bed and at home so we think of her when we are home.
  • Prayer: We have had a few prayers with Eden. It is difficult to get alone time, but if we have a minute alone with her, we do prayers together.






No comments:

Post a Comment