Eden Camile Swenson

Eden Camile Swenson
1 lb 1 oz (510 Grams) 10.4 inches, Born December 28, 2009

Eden Camile Swenson

Eden Camile Swenson
A moment in our arms, forever in our hearts.

My Family

My Family
We love our little Eden. This was taken the end of November in Utah. Eden is in the photo too but in her mommy still. A few days after this photo we had our 20 week ultrasound of our healthy baby girl.

2 Hours Old

2 Hours Old
I couldn't wait to come

These hang above Eden's Bed in the NICU

These hang above Eden's Bed in the NICU
Nurse Averi made the footprints with her birth date, weight, and length. The NICU nurses are great.

About Me

About Me
This hangs by Eden's bed in the NICU.

Monday, January 4, 2010

A Test of Faith

Eden has had a rough last 24 hours starting mainly with her lungs and oxygen intake, and then every thing seemed to start being issues that never were (such as edema, not urinating, high and then low blood pressure, pain tolerance, breathing, CO2 output, etc.). It has all been very scary for Jeremy and I. I am glad we were together the whole time during this because all I could do was sob and yet they needed us to make some major decisions for aggressiveness to keep her going and the many risks short term and long term that go with those. Remember, the world of medicine is all about risks and benefits.

During this difficult 24 hour period, Jeremy gave Eden a father's priesthood prayer, then he and a new friend who is a bishop and has a baby in the NICU too gave her a priesthood blessing for the sick, we have prayed for her over and over, we fasted, we have filled her room with love, and are trying to do all we can to help her, spiritually, physically, emotionally, and mentally. It got to a point that all I could do was sit in a rocking chair in her room and read to myself (we, including nurses, are trying to not touch or talk to her since she is feeling so ill). I read this month's Ensign, the third article was titled, "Walking Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death," I thought, "great, just what I need (sarcastic of course)." But as I read the article I was inspired and I can tell you how with one little quote,

"Believing in miracles and the power of the priesthood is important. But faith sufficient to accept the Father's will may be more important."

I shared the article and my thoughts with Jeremy on it. He felt the same. This is a test of faith for us. We have done all we can do and now we have to have faith and be willing to accept God's will no matter the outcome. With that, we decided to leave Eden to go home and sleep and shower and go to sacrament meeting. It was hard to leave and yes, we got our first phone call in the wee hours of the morning letting us know that Eden wasn't doing well, and then a few hours later we were called by the doctor to come in immediately to the hospital. We then had our first group counsel (a meeting with the doctor, RN, respiratory nurse, patient care rep, and us) on our next step for Eden which needed to be done in a timely manner.

Eden is still critical but she is stable. We are happy to say she has started to urinate again and her oxygen levels are stable. We just received information on her latest head ultrasound. Good news, no brain bleeding. She is kept alone under a blanket tent over her incubator. She is still very ill, but we are happy compared to yesterday and we try our best to stay hopeful. Once again the other micro preemie families here have patted us on the back and told us it will all be OK, it is a roller coaster, it is scary, but the babies are surprisingly strong. Their words bring comfort. Baby Jackson's parents just got the news that they are going home with him today after 90 plus days in the NICU. Way to go for Jackson. See, these micro preemies are so brave and so strong.

9 comments:

  1. Rachel, I read that same article yesterday. That same quote really stuck out to me too. I had been praying praying praying that Eden's health would improve and she would be a little fighter. I then realized that I should keep praying for those things but also that our whole family would be able to accept God's will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you are incredibly strong. As I read through your thoughts and as you share your testimony and your pure love for your family, I feel the spirit very strongly. I agree we must always be prepared to accept God's will. We hope it is the same as our will; but we do realize it may not be and we still must have faith in Him and show love and appreciation for all he does bless us with. You are remarkable. We continue to pray for you all. Hang in there and know you are loved! I think I need to go read that Ensign article now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Rachel. You have been in our thoughts, prayers, and fasting this week. Please add us to the list of those who would LOVE to have Noah and Paige over. I admire your strength and the support you and Jeremy are for one another.
    ~Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your journey and your testimony- your love for family and the gospel is an inspiration! It's often times in those quiet moments when the spirit speaks the strongest and strikes a sacred chord within our hearts. We receive a glimpse of heaven...
    It always brought us comfort to know that God is hurting along with us and as His children, loves us more than we comprehend.
    Keep your faith strong and each other in prayer! You have much love coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rachel & Jeremy,

    We just heard about you and Eden! We just got back from being gone to Australia for a month and had only heard very briefly on Christmas day when John called and talked to his mom (Jeanne)! You are certianly in our prayers and thoughts!!!!!!

    I just read your whole blog-so incredibly sweet and touching. You have the sweetest and most powerful quotes. It is beautiful and just lovely. I'm so thankful for it and for all of the new information I'm learning too. I know it is powerful for all of you too. We are so thankful you have each other and such an amazing and helpful family and the amazing family of the church! We hope you can keep getting some rest and interaction w/ your sweet baby! She truly is a miracle! Thank you for sharing, we will keep you in our prayers constantly! And even though we are a bit far away, if you ever need anything or if we can ever help you we will! Hang in there, Heavenly Father has his hand in everything~*

    With lots of love and hugs, Chelsea & John Phillips (your cousins! :] )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel this blog is incredible and you are an amazing woman. Jeremy is an amazing man and though I wish your family didn't have to go through this right now, I can feel the spiritual power through the words you share on this blog. Curt often talks of words as symbols that we use to convey meaning - you are very talented in this regard. My thoughts and prayers are constantly with you. My heart aches with you. Though my situation was much different, my first child spent her entire life in the NICU before Heavenly Father took her home. I tell you this only to offer empathy and support. I love you! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. We keep hoping and praying for you to experience these small miracles and tender mercies as you go through this. We always learn a lot about love and God during these times and we know you will be strengthened to endure it all and to have peace as you carry on with all the ups and downs each day. I know I have been visited in times of difficulty and uncertainty and you will be too! Think of all the love on this side and the other coming your way, Rachel and Jeremy! She is such an angel. (Of course she is! It's genetic)! We hope for the best for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel & Family - Ted and my thoughts and prayers have been with you since learning of Rachel's bedrest and Eden's birth. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts and updates during this most difficult of times. We are another resource available with food, child care . . . and whatever may be of assistance. May peace, love, and strength continue to surround you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few days ago when I was angry over the heartache you have been through and trying to make sense of it all, this thought came into my mind, "With God All Things Are Possible." We just don't know what the plan is. The challenge is to handle what life gives us gracefully and with strength. You are doing just that with a lot of love.



    I love you all!



    Mom/Karen

    ReplyDelete