Eden Camile Swenson

Eden Camile Swenson
1 lb 1 oz (510 Grams) 10.4 inches, Born December 28, 2009

Eden Camile Swenson

Eden Camile Swenson
A moment in our arms, forever in our hearts.

My Family

My Family
We love our little Eden. This was taken the end of November in Utah. Eden is in the photo too but in her mommy still. A few days after this photo we had our 20 week ultrasound of our healthy baby girl.

2 Hours Old

2 Hours Old
I couldn't wait to come

These hang above Eden's Bed in the NICU

These hang above Eden's Bed in the NICU
Nurse Averi made the footprints with her birth date, weight, and length. The NICU nurses are great.

About Me

About Me
This hangs by Eden's bed in the NICU.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Eternal Refiner and Purifier of Silver


My Uncle sent this to me a week or two after Eden's funeral. He has known of our hardships. Ever since we moved to Idaho two years ago almost to the day, I have felt as if we have been in the refiner fires. The passing of Eden has been our hardest tragedy to endure so far. Yet there were so many wonderful, special, spiritual, memorable, and sweet moments within this hardship. Maybe the quote below will help others during their own trials and tragedies.


The Eternal Refiner and Purifier of Silver-- Malachi 3:3


Malachi 3:3 says: "And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness."

This verse puzzled some students in an Old Testament Sunday School class and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God.

One of the students, a woman, offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next class.

That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver.

As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire to heat it up. He explained that when refining silver, one needs to hold the silver in the middle of the flame where the fire is hottest and thereby burn away all of the impurities.

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot. Then she thought again about the verse that says: "…He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver..."

She asked the silversmith if he truly had to sit there in front of the fire closely monitoring the progress and make adjustments the whole time the silver was being refined.

The man assured her he did, and that he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on it the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?"

He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy – when I see my image in it."

When you are personally feeling the heat of the fire, as we all sometimes do, remember that God has His eyes on you and will keep closely watching you until He sees His image in your countenance.

4 comments:

  1. We do not know each other, but I knew Amber in High School. I wanted to tell you I am touched by your blog in the tender memory of your baby girl Eden. I have a little Angel too, and have definately felt a refining and purifying fire. No doubt despite the many differences in our losses, we could count many similar feelings of pain and growth from it. I will keep you in my prayers, I know how much it sustained us in our sorrow and joy. The two feelings that seem unbareable to hold inside one heart at the same exact time without bursting, but they seem to exsist anyways. The pictures and your courage in shareing your expierence touched me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    Thank you for sharing some of your experiences and your blog address with me. I have been so touched as I have read your blog. I feel like it has blessed my life and drawn me closer to the Lord. Thank you for sharing your tender feelings.
    Sincerely,
    Lacey
    Christine Donnell Sub.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In searching for the "silver refiners" story I happened upon your blog. It brought back many painful memories from 24 years ago when we also lost a baby prematurely. I want to tell you that at the time, you don't think there is anyway you will ever heal, but you will. It will take time and the pain never goes away completely; it is stored in the deepest recesses of your heart and only surfaces on rare, unexpected moments. Mostely it is replaced by love for that lost child,hope that she is in a happier place and that you will be reunited someday. I cling to that hope and it helps to get you through. Hang in there and thanks for posting the refiner's fire story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me, I found your blog via the Hawkes. I am very touched also by your blog. My heart goes out to you. I don't know the entire story of what happened. I hope you find the peace in knowing that you WILL get to see your precious Eden again and raise her one day just as you are your other children. What a sweet little girl. What a sweet blog to remember her by and help others in the same situation. You are an Angel. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete